Indian trail that wound along Trail Creek from the Rogue to the
Umpqua River. It formed a short cut between an early military road
and Roseburg. Trail Creek was the scene of an important engagement
in the Indian wars of 1853-56. After a short fierce battle between Trail
and Evans creeks, the Indians were forced back to Table Rock, at
which place finally was made an important treaty, September 10, 1853,
that was expected to end the Indian troubles (see TOUR 2b).
MEDFORD, 92.5 m. (1,374 alt., 11,007 pop.) (see MEDFORD);
is at a junction with US 99 (see TOUR 2b).
(Pasco, Wash.)—Cold Springs Junction—Pendleton—Mount Vernon
—Burns—Lakeview—(Alturas, Calif.) ; 393.6 m. US 395.
Paved and gravel roads. Part of highway closed during heavy snows.
Union Pacific Railroad parallels route between Pendleton and Pilot Rock and
between Seneca and Burns.
Hotel and tourist accommodations.
Section a. Washington Line to Junction State 54; 236.8 m. US 395
US 395, the Three Flags Route, is a section of a great highway sys-
tem that crosses Canada, the United States, and Mexico. In Oregon it
goes through the central part of the eastern section of the state, travers-
ing great wheat-lands in the northern section, the forested slopes of the
Blue Mountains and a high arid plateau, and penetrates one of the last
cattle domains. With these mountains and the desert as background, the
miner, the cattle king, the lumber baron, and the wheat rancher have
played their adventurous roles and reaped the wealth of Oregon.
US 395 crosses the Washington Line, 0 m., six miles south of Wal-
lula, Wash, (see WASHINGTON GUIDE), and follows the south
bank of the Columbia River between walls of columnar basalt that show
many superimposed flows of lava marking the geologic ages, to COLD
SPRINGS JUNCTION, 9.8 m. (363 alt.).
1. Right from Cold Springs Junction on US 730, which follows the Columbia
River, to UMATILLA JUNCTION, 9.9 m., at the junction with US 30 (set
a. Right from Cold Springs Junction, on the Cold Springs Landing Road,
passing a railroad section house, a farmers' warehouse, and a school in the sage-
brush, the only evidences of human activity, to COLD SPRINGS LANDING,
0.7 m., on the banks of the Columbia. This road was built in the 188o's to