are excellent stands of Port Orford cedar (see TOUR 3b). Groves
of Oregon myrtle or California laurel grace hills and valleys.
State 38 crosses the eastern boundary of the ELLIOTT STATE
FOREST, 35.1 m., a small tract, largely composed of second growth
Douglas fir. It is used as a forestry laboratory by the Oregon State
BRANDY BAR (R), 35.3 m., an island in the river, received its
name when the schooner Samuel Roberts grounded here in the summer'
of 1850. The crew, waiting for the tide, started to while away the time
with a cask of brandy. The incensed captain heaved the casks overboard.
(Boating, fishing, and swimming).
MILL CREEK, 36.9 m., is at the junction with a dirt road.
Left here to LOON LAKE, 6 m. (fishing and boating), covering about 1,200
acres. This lake, discovered in 1852 and so named for the bird found here in
abundance, was formed by a huge landslide that blocked Mill Creek Valley.
Other small lakes within this area are accessible by foot or on horseback over
well marked trails.
West of Mill Creek is a region of tidal flows, farm lands, and low
green pastures belonging to dairymen.
West of CHARLOTTE CREEK, 39.5 m., for several miles the
road is cut into a rocky cliff. Canyons are lush with the broad-leaved,
shrubby salal, and streamsides grow thick with red and amber salmon-
DEAN CREEK, 44.4 m., was named for two brothers who settled
at its mouth in 1851. West of KOEPKE SLOUGH, 46 m.f State 38
follows a dike across lowlands. Into the wide flowing Umpqua, once
came many ships to load lumber, but fishing boats are now more numer-
ous. The waters teem with runs of salmon. Great blue herons live along
the shallows and on the waters are wide floating log booms upon which
cormorants perch at attention.
REEDSPORT, 50.1 m. (28 alt, 1,179 pop.) (see TOUR 3a), is
the junction with US 101 (see TOUR 3a).
Coos Junction—Ten Mile—Camas Valley—Myrtle Point—Coquille:
61.8 m. State 42.
Paved road. Pacific Greyhound stages.
State 42, an important link between US 99 and US 101, swings
southwestward in a great arc from the upper Umpqua Valley across