meeting, Francois Xavier Matthieu, made a trip to determine the site
and the state legislature in 1901 designated 107 acres here as a state
park. The names of the men who were believed, on best authority, to
have been among the 52 who voted for the establishment of a pro-
visional government, are engraved on a granite shaft marking the alleged
site of the meeting.

Tour 2C

Salem—Rickreall—Dallas—Junction with State 18; 29.7 m. State 22.
Paved road.

Tourist camps at convenient points; hotels in Salem and Dallas.

State 22 crosses the farms and orchards of the Willamette and Rick-
reall valley and passes over hills between the tributaries of the Yamhill
River, to meet State 18, the Salmon River cut-off a mile south of Willa-
mina.

Branching west from US 99E at SALEM (see TOUR 2a) 0 m.
State 22 crosses the Willamette River, 0.4 m., on an arched span that
affords an excellent view of the river. Occasionally a river boat, sur-
vivor of the fleet that once plied the Willamette, approaches or leaves
the wharf (L) near the Salem end of the bridge. On summer days the
river is dotted with canoes and small boats (available near wharf, 25c
an hour).

WEST SALEM, 0.8 m. (140 alt., 974 pop.), does lumbering and
prepares maraschino cherries. (Tourist camp for trailers). West Salem
is at the junction with State 221 (see TOUR 10).

West of the Willamette, State 22 passes through orchards, hopfields,
and berry farms, and curves between the river and (R) the encroach-
ing Eola Hills.

HOLMAN STATE PARK (R), 4 m., is a tract of woods on a
hillside, with spring water piped to the roadside.

EOLA, 4.5 m., was first called Cincinnati because of a fancied re-
semblance of the site to that of Cincinnati, Ohio. In early days it lost
a bid to be made the state capital by two votes. With its chance for
expansion checked the town in 1856 changed its name to Eola, derived
from Aeolus, Greek god of the winds. The once prosperous community
waned in importance with the growth of Salem, its successful rival.

The HOUSE OF I. J. PATTERSON, governor of Oregon from
1927 to 1929, is (R) at 4.9 m.