handsom declarations, and a woman without those declarations is Considered
as among the lower Class."

Three days later Lewis and Clark held a meeting to decide whether the party
should go back to the falls, remain on the north shore or cross to the south side
of the river for the winter. The members with one exception voted to move to
the south shore, where they set up a temporary camp on Tongue Point. From
this place they hunted a suitable site for the permanent camp (see TOUR 3a).

ASTORIA, 104.5 m. (12 alt., 10,349 pop.) (see ASTORIA).

Points of Interest: Fort Astoria, City Hall, Grave of D. McTavish, Flavel
Mansion, Union Fishermen's Cooperative Packing Plant, Port of Astoria Ter-
minal, and others.

In Astoria US 30 meets US 101 (see TOUR 3a).

Tour 1A

Baker—Salisbury—Hereford—Junction with US 28; 46.1 m., State 7.
Gravel road.

Local stages between Baker and Unity; Baker and Bourne.
Hotels in towns and camps.

State 7 penetrates one of the richest mining regions of early Oregon.
Tucked away in canyons or stark against mountainsides are the few
crumbling buildings of old camps and abandoned towns. The discovery
of gold in Griffin's Gulch in the fall of 1861 brought thousands east
from the Willamette Valley and up from California to pan the streams
and pluck nuggets from pockets in decaying ledges. In the 1890's came
a second period of activity, a hard rock boom no less intense than the
earlier placer fever. After the early white miners had left for fields
with richer strikes hundreds of Chinese poured into the region to pan
the tailings. Farmers came into the Powder River bottoms as the gold
played out and the mining camps disappeared.

The western part of the route crosses a semi-arid range country along
the headwaters of Burnt River.

State 7 branches south from US 30 (see TOUR 1a) at Baker, 0 m.
and crosses the tracks of the Sumpter Valley Railroad, the state's last
narrow-gauge line. Constructed in the 1890's to develop the timber
holdings of several Mormons, it was an important factor in the growth
of the district. A two-car train with a wood-burning locomotive called
the "Stump Dodger" made the run for many years between Baker and