Railroad Stations: Southern Pacific Station, 400 Willamette St., for Southern
Pacific lines; Oregon Electric Station, 5th and Oak Sts., for Oregon Electric Ry.
Bus Stations: Oregon Hotel, 541 Willamette St., for Pacific Greyhound Line and
Oregon Motor Stages; E. Broadway and Willamette St., for Independent Motor
Stages; Broadway Cash Store, E. Broadway near Willamette, for the Dollar
Line; 92 W. 8th Ave., for the Benjamin Franklin Line.
Airport: 18th and Chambers Sts.; no scheduled service.
Taxis: 25c and upwards according to distance and number of passengers.
City Busses: Fare 7c, four-ride card for 25c
Accommodations: Six hotels; numerous rooming houses, tourist camps.
Information Service: Chamber of Commerce and A.A.A., 230 E. Broadway.
Radio Station: KORE (1420 kc).
Motion Picture Houses: Five.
Swimming: Women's Pool in the Gerlinger Hall and Men's Pool in Men's
Building—both on U. of O. campus, restricted to college students: Y.M.C.A.
building; Willamette River.
Golf: Laurelwood Golf Course, 2700 Columbia St., 18 holes, greens fee, 25c for
each 9 holes; Oakway Golf Course, S. Willamette St. near Wood Ave., 9 holes,
greens fee 25c.
Riding: Eugene Hunt Club Academy, West Fair Grounds, 13th and Van Buren
Sts. Fee $1 an hour.
Annual Events: Oregon Trail Pageant (every three years) in July.
EUGENE (423 alt., 18,901 pop.), cultural and industrial center of
the upper Willamette Valley, is the site of the University of Oregon
and of Northwest Christian college. It is the seat of Lane County, and
the fourth largest city of the commonwealth. By fields and wooded hills,
through leaning groves of Cottonwood and balm, the Willamette River
curves around the northwest quarter of the city. Eastward rise the
swelling foothills of the Cascades, and westward the misty summits of
the Coast Range.
Essentially a city of homes, Eugene has the appearance of a land
scaped park, with comfortable houses and long lines of shade trees bor-
dering its streets. The business thoroughfares are lined with fine brick
and concrete structures, while in the neighborhood of the university
many large fraternity and sorority houses add to the charm of the resi-
dential districts. Economic and cultural interests are well balanced.
Varied industrial plants—creameries, canneries, and flour and lumber
mills—close to the university, indicate the dual character of the com-
Arriving in the upper valley in 1846, Eugene F. Skinner built a