Railroad Station: 6th & Madison Sts., for Southern Pacific Lines (branch).
Southern Pacific busses from this station connect with main line at Albany Depot,
10th and Lyon Sts.
Bus Station: 353 Monroe St., for Greyhound Lines and Oregon Motor Stages.
City Busses: Fare, 6c.
Taxis: Basic fare 25c.
Accommodations: Three hotels; auto camps.
Information Service: Chamber of Commerce, 306 S. 3rd St.
Radio Station: KO AC (550 Ice).
Motion Picture Houses: Three.
Swimming: Men's Gymnasium, Women's Building, both on Oregon State campus
open only to students; Marys River.
Golf: Corvallis Country Club, 3 m. W. on State 26, half-mile from highway,
9 holes, greens fee 25c, Sat. and Sun. 50c.
Riding: Corvallis Riding Academy, 20th and Railroad Sts.; fees 75c first hour,
50c each subsequent hour.
Annual Events: Farmers' Day, Oct.; 4-H Club, June; Benton County Fair, last
of Aug.; State High School Band Contest, Apr. or May.
CORVALLIS (227 alt., 7,585 pop.), seat of Oregon State Agricul-
tural College and of Benton County, is on the west bank of the Will-
amette River just below its confluence with Marys River. The city de-
rives its name from the Latin phrase meaning "heart of the valley," and
is in truth, culturally and economically, the heart of a large fertile
region. Few Oregon municipalities are more beautiful. Westward the
green hills rise gently into the lower slopes of the Coast Range, and to
the east beyond the valley, are the sharper crests of the Cascade Moun-
The first white men to settle in the vicinity of present Corvallis were
James L. Mulkey, Johnson Mulkey, and William F. Dixon, who ar-
rived in 1845, and Joseph C. Avery, who came in 1846; they settled
on lands purchased from the Calapooya Indians. Avery operated a free
canoe ferry to encourage settlement here, sold the first town lots, and
in 1849, after returning with others from the California gold fields,
established a store.
The town was officially platted and designated the seat of the newly
created county of Benton in February, 1851. Known originally as
Marysville, Corvallis was given its present name in 1853, to differenti-
ate it from Marysville, California. The town somehow escaped the raw,
rough period undergone by most frontier settlements, though there was
an occasional case of "justifiable homicide"—mob hanging of a half-